Jigmechhu Campsite – A Trip to the Sub-Tropical Belt of the Country

 The popular Jigmechhu campsite is about 50 kilometers away from Gedu Gewog in Chhukha. It is about 18 kilometers before reaching Kalikhola in the vicinity of the highway. It is a scenic landscape in the confluence of Wangchu that joins another river from Dagana to form Raidak. With an elevation of about 180 meters above sea level, the subtropical climate coupled with good weather conditions makes the Jigmechu area, without any doubt, one of the most beautiful natural sites and richest of biodiversity.

While our team went there to do an aquatic macro-invertebrates survey, I was overwhelmed by the warm climatic condition that resulted in green vegetation covering everywhere. Moreover, the local people also shared with us that it is an area frequently visited by an elephant. The more motivational part touched me when our companion who is a forest guard, shared that the very cliff that we could sight was already well studied by our professor Dr. DB Gurung. We were told that the professor had studied the endemic orchid that is now probably extinct.

After lunch was a return journey during which I got to see the magnificent Greater Racket-tailed drongo through my 6.5-degree lensed binocular. However, I returned from the campsite unsatisfyingly because I saw a flock of green-yellow-bodied birds that I failed to recognize and identify. I conjectured that it was a parakeet but nobody knows. I am filled with longing feelings to recognize the flock of birds that I failed to do. Next time, I will make my field trip to the beautiful hotspot and fulfill my desire to recognize the bird that makes me curious even today.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fare you well to my school classmate: May your success always be in your favour

 Saying goodbye is a bittersweet blend of celebration and nostalgia. Today, I find myself bidding farewell to my beloved school classmates, ...